Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Roasted Vegetable Salsa

My favorite time of year is in full flourish. Fresh fruits and veggies are becoming more and more available. I watch Racheal Ray a lot. She's on at 9am and I'm up about 8 am with the little one. But she fascinates me all the time with her tips and tricks. Smart smart lady! I saw one episode last week where she made a chunky guacamole with tomatoes onion cilantro...the whole nine yards but she threw all the vegetables plus the avocado halves on her grill just to get those awesome beautiful black marks you see when you pull em' off the grill, not to mention the irresistible smoky flavor the veggies absorb ....wow. Yummy. Genius! Guaranteed it's a little more work than your normal side dish but I think it'd be well worth it.
I love salsa! I recently found out I love avacado. Not guacamole, just sliced avacado. I've made my kind of salsa many many times. Kids love it, the husband loves it but sometimes it can be super raw tasting...you know what I mean, like so fresh it's raw tasting and you can basically taste all the acidity from the veggies and nothing else. Usually the onion will overpower the tomato for me. Because we love our onion.....but why not roast all the veggies, first in the oven (since I don't have a grill) ??? I mean duh. Right? So I looked around on Pinterest a bit to see what other people were saying on this particular way of making salsa. Needless to say I'm way behind after finally making my salsa this way. Above average ! 

Ingredients:
1 sweet onion 
4 medium to large tomatoes 
4 garlic cloves (or more if you like) 
1 jalapeño-seeds removed if you want just flavor and not heat. 
Bunch of cilantro 
1/2 tsp cumin
1 lime 
Olive oil 

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. You want it nice and hot! Wash your veggies and split the tomatoes a little to breath. Rub all the veggies with olive oil and put on a cookie sheet covered with foil. Sprinkle with salt. 


Roast for 15 min or until soft and lightly charred. 


Let the rest for 10 min and you'll be able to peel back the skins. Remove skins for both tomato and jalapeño. 

Place all ingredients in a food processor toss in your fresh cilantro, cumin, salt, pepper, and lime juice. 

Pulse until it meets your favorite consistancy !! Refrigerate and let those flavors BLEND! 



No comments:

Post a Comment